Monday, April 14, 2008

Part 8: Confession of Love

Wow! Talk about a real shock factor! Those Photoshop skills on that last entry were pretty impressive! Anyways, now came the tough part. I had to bear one more month of school before Christmas came along. Meanwhile, my roommate had gotten engaged three weeks after his blind date at the Haunted House. Now the pressure was on me, the other roommate with a significant other. Day after day everybody I saw asked me when I was getting married. Well, the truth was I wasn't sure. While at the redwoods in California, I had convinced myself that I loved Amanda, but considering it had taken her ages just to accept me as her boyfriend, how many more ages would it take for her to decide she loved me back?

Nevertheless, I was determined to put the plan into motion. I had to tell her I loved her. I couldn't be indecisive. I had to be bold, but not overbearing. The night was all planned out. In fact, it had been written out several months before I had even met her in the Book Part XIII, as a matter of fact.

Let's take a look at that book (Part XI, to be precise) for a moment. It contained a character named Rick Heit, who got engaged to a girl by the name of Erin Kelly. Their real life counterparts weren't even dating when it was written. They're now married. This book also contained a character named Chris Heit, who professes his love to a girl at Temple Square in December of 2007. They then got engaged and were married in the first quarter of 2008.

Surely the plan would work. The Book was a fortune teller. It had never lied once. Okay, maybe I really did hope it would lie considering that very same character was scheduled to die at the age of 40 in April of 2025.

So the plan was this: we would go to Salt Lake, attend a music concert and then walk through Temple Square to observe all the lights. After leaving the Tabernacle we would sit on a bench. While sitting there and gazing up at the millions of lights, I would let her know I loved. Nothing could go wrong.

Things started out well. The Jon Schmidt Christmas concert was a hit even if a chrysanthenum caught fire in an explosion and almost burned down the entire building (It was at the U though, so it wouldn't have been much of a loss). Afterwards we walked through the freshly fallen snow to our car and flew with fire over to Temple Square. This is where the plan started falling apart. First of all, the Tabernacle was closed to the public due to a ticketed Spanish concert. Second of all, it was freezing cold, so sitting on a bench was suicide. Third of all, in the Book the characters were all alone in Temple Square. In reality, there were about 700 million people present. There was no romantic ambience, just teenagers throwing snowballs. The magic was not there. The Book had failed me.

(Whew! That's a relief! No more dreading 2025!)

I had to resort to a backup plan. Christmas was fast approaching. Soon only 12 days remained. For the last few days Amanda had been acting more distant than right after Thanksgiving, so I had to melt her heart again, but I would do it anonymously. Another plan (non-Book inspired) was hatched. This one came from the Moody's in Syracuse, Utah. Every morning I would give her a gift to represent the twelve days of Christmas. That meant getting up at 4 AM every morning and driving over to her house in the frigid cold in my pajamas, sneaking up the stairs and driving away with my lights off.

The plan couldn't be that simple, however. This was anonymous business. I had to pose as her home teachers and give presents to the entire apartment. That way I would never be suspected! Laughing like a delivery boy, I headed to Wal-Mart and pulled off 48 presents for under 20 bucks. Talk about wise spending! With the entire apartment getting presents, I would be her last guess! (Okay, let's face it. We all know the real reason. Doing things for her roommates is a sure-fire way to win over a girl.)

Still, some of the poems I attached to the presents made it painfully obvious who the culprit was. I mean, who else would include airplane food on a package of Twizzlers? Miraculously, I was never caught all the way up to December 24 when we were heading for the airport. It took me a long time just to convince her to open it since her roommates weren't around. What was this final anticipated gift? Well, colored pencils of course.

Finally the holidays had arrived. It was time to complete the plan. I was going to tell her I loved her by the end of Christmas vacation. There was no more delaying it. I knew it was time to either move on to eternal happiness or face eternal rejection. The question was when and where I would do it. January 3rd sounded good. That way if she turned me down it wouldn't make the rest of vacation awkward.

Well, I think it'd be best to let Amanda tell you the rest of the story.

No comments :