One night I was walking Amanda home from work and this kid rushed past us, giving Amanda a playful slap on the arm as he went by. I soon learned I wasn't the only one competing for her affection. I had just crossed paths with the infamous published rock star, suave conversationalist, starting quarterback from high school, 3rd degree black belt whom we will refer to only as JKC. Me, I was just some dorky computer science major with glasses. JKC was in direct competition with me.What was I to do? Luckily, it seemed I was gaining the upper hand after being preferred for Preference, but how long would that last? Rumors surfaced that JKC had written a song for Amanda that would debut in the approaching ward talent show. What could I do to top that?
I soon realized that I would have to pull out the big guns. It was time for me to fulfill the reason I had even gotten a job which led me to meet her in the first place: buying a car. It was my trump car. With a vehicle, the world would become our playground.
Now, where would a poor kid like me get a car? I had my contacts. In April of 2007 I was the best man at an old mission buddy's wedding. Now, in November, I came back to him with a deal. In exchange for the great service I had done for him months ago, he would now sell me his car. The deal was struck, the car was repainted, and I had my wheels: a sweet 1994 Chevy Cavalier codenamed Fly-With-Fire-Guy.
There was only one problem. I only had one month of experience driving a stick, and that was three years ago. Determinately I hit the parking lot, stopping and going like the best of them. Within a week I was comfortable driving it on even the eight-lane interstate amidst a raging blizzard.
The effort was well worth it. It turned out that Amanda couldn't resist a guy who could drive a stick. Unbeknownst to be at the time, she fell madly in love with me the moment she first set foot in the car.
A certain someone was going to admit defeat that easily. Though I held her hand freely in public now, JKC continued his pursuit when I wasn't around. Finally he appeared to give up, and for a month I didn't hear from him.
One cool night I was walking to my car after work. It was almost 9:30 PM and the parking lot was mostly deserted. I heard footsteps and stopped cold. Someone was following me. Glancing back, I saw a shadow duck behind a tree. Somewhat disturbed, I continued for my car. There was another noise and I spun around, finding myself face-to-face with JKC all alone in the vast parking lot.
"Listen, buddy," he hissed. "Last night I had a revelation that Amanda is the only girl for me. I don't want to see you anywhere near her from now on."
What was I supposed to do? He had a black belt. Sure, my brother might be the mighty Rikkon, but in real life, I had nothing on this kid. Backing up towards my car, I stuttered, "H-have you talked with her about this yet?"
"That's not important," JKC took a step for me. "What matters is that you get out of my way before I'm forced to hurt you."
Frantically looking around, I sought a way to escape. Alas, there was none. My car was locked; there was no way I could escape in it either. The only choice was to fight. Instinctively I rushed at him. In surprise he jumped out of the way and I ran with all my might towards the Wilk, having to dodge traffic as I rushed across the intersection. Luckily the traffic held him up and I was able to duck inside.
Now what? I needed to get to my car and get out of this place, but he was sure to hang out right next to my car until I came back. I had to outsmart him. Luckily, I had won an award in high school for being Mr. Smarty Pants. As luck would have it, I was wearing those smart pants that very night. Quickly I punched in the code to the Cougareat locker area where he couldn't follow me and pulled out my phone.
"Brandon, I need your car right away," I muttered so JKC couldn't hear through the door. The plan was quickly set up and I glanced back into the basement hallway. JKC was nowhere in sight. He must've returned to the parking lot. I slowly made my way back to the parking lot hoping my plan would work. As far as I could recall, JKC had never seen my car, but he would assume the Chevy Cavalier was mine after our run-in a few minutes ago. I walked across the street, holding my breath. If things didn't go exactly as planned, I would soon be laying on the ground in pain. Scanning the parking lot, I located the white Dodge Intrepid exactly where we had planned. I hurried straight past my car just as JKC appeared from the shadows. Kicking on the high jets I made way for Brandon's car. The door was unlocked and I leapt inside. The keys were in the ignition waiting for me. Locking the door again, I turned the car on and backed away. What a classic look on JKC's face as I left that parking lot!
After driving home, I walked back to the lot to get my own car. Thankfully, I never had another run-in like that.
1 comment :
Why didn't you just go to level 4 and finish JKC off with a combination of Chriskwondo and Jedian power?
Post a Comment