"No way."
The words struck me like a sack of 50 lb. potatoes. That was the end. I had no chance with her. She thought I was a freak.
Luckily, though she claims to have turned me down the first time around, I have no memory of that event. So about a week later, I asked her again and this time the fates had swung in my favor. She said yes. Actually, someone had walked up to her at that moment asking if we had any napkins, so she told him yes. However, I mistook the yes to be directed at me, and upon realizing her mistake, there was no way of it. She was stuck on a date with me.
Friday came quickly and I spent the day making preparations. In the morning after class I went to the grocery store to pick up ingredients. Unfortunately I had no car so I borrowed one from a friend in the ward. Their tank was almost empty so I decided to fill up the car after buying pizza ingredients. The remainder of the afternoon was spent making dough and pizza sauce so it would be ready later. Just as I was preparing my special sauce, I pulled a perfect Nora's Christmas Gift and dumped an entire container of salt into the pan without realizing it. It was a great taste experience. I could only hope she wouldn't notice.
Time was running and there was still a lot I needed to get ready. Luckily the same friend who had loaned me her car had a table cloth and some nice plates and cups. I entrusted her and my roommate to set things up while I went off to work, for the date would immediately follow and I had no time. It was off to work, and then it was time for the date. We walked home through night. It was magical. I was nervous about what kind of joke they would set the room up as.
It was perfectly set up. There was a nice white tablecloth and some snazzy dishes along with a vase of fake roses. We put together a pizza and stuck it in the oven. When it was done there was a nice aestheticly pleasing bubble covering half the pizza and a lovely two inch crust. I turned on some classy music and we had our first kiss.
No wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. We ate the insanely salty pizza and a miracle took place that night. She didn't notice the salt! At this point I still wasn't sure she even considered it a date, so just to be sure I invited her to Friday Night Live, a BYU event taking place that night. She agreed and we returned to the Wilk to watch some capoeira and play ping-pong. I then obtained my roommate's car to take her home and even got a half-hearted hug out of it all. She didn't really thank me for the date or anything, but I thought it turned out nicely.
The biggest event was that I asked her out for the next week and she said yes. It was a good sign.
1 comment :
So we were wondering... Was it a sack of 50lb potatoes or a 50lb sack of potatoes that she hit you with...
Post a Comment