Sunday, June 7, 2015

Japan Day One and Two

Day One

(Day one and two we spent walking all of Kyoto)

As noted before with over 1200 pictures taken on the trip, I will be trying to keep the picture posting here brief or nothing will ever upload. :)
 

 The first place we visited was the Kinkakuji Golden Pavilion. The top is made out of real gold with a phoenix on the top and no one was allowed inside. This was as close as you could get to it really since there was a fence in the way. It was build during three different time periods: 11th century shinden style, buke style and zenshu-butsuden. It houses relics of Buddha.

 There are lots of these stone statues all over Japan. Some of them even have aprons tied around them. You can read about jizo statues to find out why. This one had a money container (also seen all over the place) and we tried our luck at tossing in "pennies." I missed by a lot. Chris got close. 

 They were selling prayer candles here that you could burn like in the picture below. 

There was also a large burning container of incense to the right that people would stand by and pull the vapors towards themselves. 

Amanda blows an interview:

This is the spot that I got interviewed by a group of junior high students. They all took turns reading questions in English off to me, but I got confused. One time I thought they asked me what I had seen so far so I said I had only seen this, it being our first stop ever, and then they got confused. Chris told me they really asked me what I thought of Japan. Um. Oh. Sorry junior high kids! The last question they asked was, "Would you like to take a picture with us?" So we did. I noticed later on a different day how an older woman used the exact same phrase when she wanted to us to take a picture for/of her and her group, and I was thinking "Hey you learned how to say that in junior high!"

Rock Garden (Day One)

 Here is a really famous rock garden. There are fifteen rocks and you have sit near the edge and contemplate. It's impossible to see all fifteen rocks at the same time. We only counted fourteen. To get into this place we first had to take our shoes off. In Japan they always take their street shoes off outside and that held true for visiting places that had mats or wooden flooring. Since it was hot, it was nice to remove our shoes for a while. We left them in a shelf next to other shoes and walked around in our socks. 

 Directly behind the rock garden was this opened up house that we circled before heading out. I was interested in all the pictures painted on the walls and screens. 

 Here is what the full rock garden looks like. 

These are the gardens we walked through after collecting our shoes and exiting.

Ninniji Goten Palace (Day One)

 This palace is five stories high. We were given free tea when we entered which we politely drank. It tasted like warm broth actually and I thought it a little too warm given the already hot temperature. (It was 83 and above the whole two weeks we were there). 


 Beside the Goten Palace are tons of other smaller buildings. This one got our special notice because it is orange and off limits. That makes everything more exciting right?  It is actually a monk training yard made around 1640. 

We stopped across the street for lunch and had our first real Japanese meal. This was also my favorite meal the entire trip and I was disappointed that I could not find vegetable tempura anywhere else! There was only shrimp tempura, but this vegetable stuff is the best. They had some pretty good prices too. :) 

Ninjo Castle (Day One)

 Here was our first look at Japanese in traditional dress. Please note the umbrellas. Lots of people carry umbrellas around to ward off the sun so even on a warm sunny day you have to dodge those things.
 Here is the most colorful spot of the whole castle. The inside was only wood and we were not allowed to take pictures of it. Once again we had to take our shoes off. The floor boards in this place were designed to squeak so the royal family could hear intruders in the middle of the night. It was pretty squeaky and large. It had two reception rooms, two waiting rooms, four grand rooms, two living quarters, and minister offices. Surrounding the place is a network of gardens, meaning trees mostly with a few bushes. 

Japanese castles are not what I expected castles to really look like since I always picture medieval ones and these one look very similar to temples. I guess the difference is the size and the moat and who lived there. 
 
The castle has two moats. This is the inner one. The outer one reaches right next to the road. 
Due to Jet Lag by 4pm I was exhausted. 

Day Two

This day was the day we walked the most from 8am to 7pm and the next day it hurt to stand up. The day before we'd walked 9-4 and took a break before going out again for dinner.

Ginkaku-ji Temple

 To reach the temple we first went up this narrow street (yes cars drive here) that was lined with trinket shops on each side and millions of gradeschoolers.

 This was my favorite place of all of Japan. It is a zen garden. Once we let the school tour groups get ahead of us, they kept saying "Hi my name is ---", it was such a peaceful place to walk around. The air was misty and we climbed stone steps with bamboo railing around the path. It was very green and pretty.
 I assume they rake the sand every morning. We saw them in the action of it. 



Philosophers Path (Day Two)

It was already a hike to the temple and then we walked the philosophers path which was a narrow rocky thing between a canal on the left and houses on the right.
 What can I say? They got hungry. This is along the path.

 Here is an example of jizo statues with bibs/aprons and the coin collection cups. It rained early that morning so they are full of water. 

 The actual path.
 Amanda's confession:
I have tons of pictures of parked cars. Here is just one example of a parked car. I was just astounded by the Japanese ability to park cars in the most narrow of spaces. Usually these spaces were beside stone walls or roads or overhangs. Sometimes I couldn't figure out how they had even done it because in order to fit they needed their side mirrors pushed up to the side of the car, but how did they back in with no mirrors? I never did catch a car backing up to park in action which was a shame since I probably would have filmed it as discreetly as possible. 

Also along the path we saw Cat Haven. There were at least eight cats in here and more on the ground walking around. 

Nanzia-ji Temple


 If you paid extra you could walk through the top and over this bridge at this temple. It just looked like all wood inside so we passed. This was the oldest Sanmon gate in Japan.
 But we did get a phone call from Grandma Heit while we were here. It was an accidental dial, but we sat on some steps by this thing while we said hi. 

Then it was more walking. We walked past a zoo so I had to get one shot of the giraffes.
 We walked along a canal (the keage incline) to see the largest torii gate.

Heian shrine


 Here was the place that was under construction. You can see the green construction cones and they also had frog ones and yellow bunny ones that were pretty amazing. 

Shinto shrines are orange and have torii. Buddhist temples are white and brown.

 Before entering there was a large water pool where people would use the ladle to dump water on their hands to clean them. Later on we saw more of these with signs saying not to drink the water. This one did not have such a sign but it needed one. A tourist had us take a picture of him drinking from it. We didn't feel up to telling that he probably wasn't supposed to. 

 There was an additional garden we could go through at the side of this place that we walked through. It had two main paths that wrapped around a lily pad pond. Here is a bird maybe a crane that was fishing.

 This is a side building since at the main one we could not take pictures there. They were performing a prayer ceremony at the time and had a guy making sure no pictures were taken. 

Here is an example of tied up prayers.

Marayama Park

 This is a park. I kind of expected grass. Actually the playgrounds in Japan are greatly lacking. Even the smallest ones here in Wisconsin are considered super playgrounds compared to the ones I saw there. Normally I would only see one slide and one swing on top of dirt. Even the playgrounds attached to schools were like that with the exception of adding a climbing structure perhaps. Most of the recess area is just open dirt space.

 This tree helps provide needed shade. 

 This toilet is notable is that it is the first squatter potty that I ever used. You squat to use it just like it sounds. I was glad that I also had my hotel toilet to use as well which was a bidet (I had my own dislikes about it) but at least you could sit down.

This is Yasaka Shrine I believe. It was at the back of the park. 

 We found a really nifty short cut that actually took us right where we wanted to go.

  Kiyumizudera

 There was a guy walking around telling everyone his hobby was photography and asking if he could take our pictures on our cameras for us. He asked us so we said sure. It's pretty cool to get shots without other people in them. Because if you look below this is what there was around us.


It's easier to get these kinds of shots because you can hold your camera up above everyone's heads to do it. This was set on a hill. 

Gion Corner

 We got to enjoy a traditional Japanese show where we heard them play old instruments. These ones were super squeaky and I was not a real fan. There were also some "trumpet" like instruments that you blew into. The men who played them had to puff out their cheeks to get out a note and they too were a little irksome sounding.
 The show included a play where two servants get tied up so they can't get into the masters rice wine cellar while he is away. They however end up getting into it and feeding each other and it closes as the master returns and finds them drunk. 

 Chris said his favorite part of the show was this puppet play. This was of a girl who loved this boy and ended up setting a building on fire to return some missing sword to him to help him out. 
It took three guys to make the puppet move at all. 

This was the closing act of a maiko dancing. From personal experience you can't move in those clothes. Her arms are up as far as they can go. Her dance consisted of turning in circles, raising her arms in various positions and stomping her feet. It was really slow and I'll admit since it was the end of the day, I was going to fall asleep.

After all that we had to walk back to the hotel. 
Chris had planned on us eating at a fancy restaurant that over looked the water, but I was just too tired. We did walk through the restaurants though and past a music show that was happening on the "beach" by the canal.

That's it for the first two days.

No comments :