As most people know, I made a trip to Martinsburg, WV and decided to party it up with the Heits near Washington, D.C. over the weekend. To prove I was there, I made sure to get photos of all the monuments that just scream American history.
First off, we've got the Defender of Freedom himself. That's right, this is the man whose lowly band of misfits went against all odds and reached the Final Four of the 2006 NCAA Tournament: George Mason.
Next up, we've got William Tecumseh Sherman. This is the general who famously ripped his clothes off while standing on top of eagles eating a corpse at the battle of Shiloh while declaring, "General Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always."
This is a tribute to one of America's best-kept secrets: George Washington was actually three men.
This memorial was made from a piece of marble taken from the memorial of the victims of the USS Maine found in Havana, Cuba. The original was damaged in the Bay of Pigs Invasion, so this is a memorial to a memorial.
What piece of American pride, unity and history would be complete without a memorial to Stonewall Jackson, the Confederate general, who, had he not died of pneumonia, may have beaten the Union in Gettysburg?
Arguably the most well-known monument in Washington, the Bulfinch Gate has inspired gates for almost 200 years.
This is why I never went very far in scouts. I was too embarrassed at the thought of putting my parents through the official Boy Scout Parent dress code.
Here's a picture of the Heit hosts so you can see a recent picture of them, leaving no obligation for them to update their blog for another few months.
This one is for Michelle, who would be delighted to see Wesley's amazing invention.
Carving pumpkins is so last decade, so instead Wesley colored one.
By popular demand, here's some trashy Halloween costumes.
And here's Wesley in his Sunday best.
7 comments :
I always wondered why you never got into scouting. Thanks for explaining! I never heard about that dress code thing.
I was also surprised by all the additional monuments you located that we missed. We'll have to go back again to check them out.
BTW, I like the costumes. Great ideas!
Wesley has clothes modeling down pat!
By the way, Amanda should have stood sideways so that we could see the ball shape. :)
So why doesn't Amanda even look pregnant?? :) Thanks for posting the picture of us, now I don't feel the need to update our blog. :) Thanks for visiting!! Reed was talking about playing with his Uncle Chris yesterday.
I agree with Michelle, and the costumes were way cute!
Post a Comment